Thursday 23 August 2018

Why so many titles for the Mother of God?

Yesterday, on our Catholic calendar we celebrated  the Queen-ship of Mary. On August 15th, we celebrated a Feast, her Assumption, or on the Orthodox calendar, her Dormition.
Why so many titles for this woman who lived such a hidden life? For me, her first 'yes' is the moment I keep returning too. She, who by God's choice, carried the Son of God, made flesh through her, to be born Light of the world.
I recently saw this B&W painting on a wood panel, of  The Annunciation , by the hand of Emmanuel Cusnaider, Argentina. See his Facebook page for a collection of his paintings,and wood carvings, a stunning talent.

I copied it onto untreated canvas...........in the Orthodox tradition, Our Lady usually has three stars indicating her virginity before, during and after . I have chosen three crosses, indicating her son's path, his greatest act of love for us.



No comments:

Post a Comment